These vibrant colors scream fresh taste. Chop up a variety of vegetables to make this salad hearty and healthy.
Grilled Panzanella Salad
1 (24 oz.) pkg. assorted bell peppers, seeded, cut into 2" strips
2 medium yellow or green squash, sliced ½” thick lengthwise
1 sweet onion, peeled, cut horizontally into ½” slices
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
1 Italian loaf, thickly sliced
¼ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed with side of knife
½ (24 oz.) pkg. Roma tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
2 Tbsp. capers, drained
4 cups organic herb salad or organic baby arugula
Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon (about ¼ cup juice)
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
⅓ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil 1. Preheat grill on medium or light charcoal.
2. Working one vegetable at a time, drizzle 3 Tbsp. (total) of the oil over peppers, squash and onion, turning to coat both sides. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Brush both sides of bread slices with remaining oil.
4. Arrange vegetables on grill. Cook, turning once, until tender with deep grill marks, about 8 min. for squash and onion, 6 min. for peppers. Remove to warm platter and cover with foil.
5. Arrange bread on grill and cook until crisp and browned, turning once, about 1 min. per side. (Check often and turn/remove slices as necessary to avoid burning). Remove bread from grill and rub with garlic. Tear into bite-size pieces; place in large salad bowl.
6. Chop cooked vegetables into bite-size pieces. Add to salad bowl.
7. Whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl.
8. Pour dressing over bread and vegetables and toss. Add chopped tomatoes, reserved tomato juice and capers to bowl. Toss well, season with salt and pepper and toss again. Set aside 20 min. to marinate.
You can also prepare steps 1 – 8 the night before and refrigerate. Remove from fridge 30 min. before serving.
9. Just before serving, add greens to bowl and toss to mix.