Interested in Climbing Mt. Rainier? Here are my Top 10 Tips!
1. Registration opens in early Sept and sells out quickly! I went with RMI Expeditions (4 day climb RMIguides.com). You can register as a group so get a group of preferably non-snoring friends together!
2. You will need to find lodging for 2 nights in Ashford. There are few options and all are a little $$$ so I would recommend AirBnB.
3. Preparation. This is waaaay harder than you think it will be. My Ironman training paid off here because I'm used to suffering for long periods of time. I struggled a bit on the technical side of things. If you can find a few mountains to climb beforehand that would be helpful. Practice with a heavy backpack!
4. The guides will tell you the key to a successful summit is REALLY wanting it. When I went through rough patches I played the Alexander Hamilton song in my head (of course like every other song I messed up the lyrics, sorry Lin-Manuel Miranda!) "I'm not giving away my shot my shot. I'm not giving away my shot!"
5. Having said that 90% of whether you summit or not is completely out of your control. In my case the path ahead collapsed leaving us no options. A lot of people are foiled by weather. But make sure your 10% game is strong!
6. Gearing. Rent everything there. It's not worth bringing your own stuff unless you are already a serious climber. One piece I found super helpful was a very light weight long sleeve hoody (pictured here).
7. Best months to go are July, Aug, Sept because there are fewer weather issues.
8. You will have no appetite when you get to elevation. I wish I had brought CarboPro that I could mix in with my Gatorade so that I could get calories in during the rest breaks instead of forcing myself to eat.
9. Leave the GoPro at home. You climb at night it's dark and you are always following someone. So unless you want a 14 hour video of the back of someone's boots there's no point. Your cell phone is fine for the occasional moments when you can grab a shot.
10. Speaking of cell phones the only service you'll get there is Verizon. But you can actually get service at Camp Muir. 👍 Hope this helps! #doepicshit #bettydesigns #bettysquad17