The Memphis Chicks were a minor league baseball franchise that existed from 1902 to 1960 and from 1978 to 1997. Founded as the Memphis Egyptians in 1902, they were renamed the Chickasaws in 1912 after the local Native American tribe and became known as the Chicks for short. In the early 1920s, they were on of the top independent baseball teams in the country and played their home games at Russwood Park in Midtown. After joining the minor league system in 1948 team struggled and moved the Macon, Georgia in 1960 after Russwood was destroyed by fire. A new Chicks franchise returned to the city in 1978 and moved to Tim McCarver Stadium in the Fairgrounds. With the arrival of the Memphis Redbirds in 1998, the Chicks relocated to Jackson, Tennessee where they continue play today as the West TN Diamond Jaxx.