Live Bhangra Performance from Gobindgarh Fort.
Gobindgarh Fort was built by the army of Gujjar Singh Bhangi of Sikh Misls. This fort was reconstructed by Maharaja Ranjit Singh between 1805 and 1809. During the British rule, this fort was in the army's possession for nearly 150 years. The Darbar Hall, Hawa Mahal and the Phansi Ghar were added to the fort during British rule only. After the Indian Independence, Indian army took control over the fort and till date it is under the administration of Indian Defence Force.
At the time of India-Pakistan partition, this fort served as the camp for immigrants from Pakistan. This fort was open for public in December 2006 by then Punjab Chief Minister, Captain Amarinder Singh. Architecturally, this fort is constructed with brick and lime in a square pattern. The fort features two gates, four bastions and rampart along with the main entrance called as Nalwa Gate.
This fort has another entrance called Keelar Gate, which is believed to be connected with the tunnel of Lahore. Originally, there were 25 cannons on the ramparts of this fort that are now replaced with modern weaponry. In the heart of the fort, lies a Toshakhana, which was constructed to store grains and provisions for the army of Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
#gobindgarh #gobindgarhfort #historical #monuments #warfare #maharajaranjitsingh #amritsar #amritsardiaries #travelinindia #travelasia #traveladdict #travelers #travelporn #indianhistory #sikh #sikhism #incredibleindia #indiangovernment #LivingandExploring #bananivista