|| Radio Mogadishu || Today, Radio Mogadishu celebrates its 74th anniversary since it first began transmitting back in 1943. In the photo above can be seen the staff of the Radio Station's 'Golden Generation' of the 1970's and 80's which include prominent braodcasters like M Arab Falah-Falah, Dhashane, Sh. M Kulmiye, Awke, Ahmed A Nur, Dhahabo Olow and more.
Established during the colonial period in Italian Somaliland, Radio Mogadishu initially broadcasted news items in both Somali and Italian. Transmissions in Somali at the station first began in 1943, concurrent with the start of Somali language programming in Radio Djibouti.
Radio Mogadishu was modernized with Russian assistance following independence in 1960, and began offering home service in Somali, Amharic and Oromo. After closing down operations due to the civil war that broke out in 1991, the station was officially re-opened in the early 2000s by the Transitional National Government of former President, Abdiqasim Salad Hassan.