The man on the picture is Andreou Minos Kalokerinos, an amateur archaeologist from Heraklion Crete and the man who first discovered the Minoic palace of Knossos.
Kalokerinos was very fond of the Homeric epics and believed that the mythical palace of Knossos was real.
In 1878, Minos Kalokerinos, studying the sources of evidence, purchased the kephala hill from Zerkiry Efendaki Bey. The first excavations, brought in light the warehouses and parts of the hall throne room. Subsequently the Ottoman Pasha forbids further excavations.
The amateur archaeologist nevertheless, sends samples of his findings to Athens and to European museums, wishing to spark the interest of the archaeological community.
It was the director of the Oxford University Sir Arthur Evans along with Schliemann the ones that showed interest to Kalokerinos findings and traveled to Crete where Kalokerinos guided them personally to the site.
Ιn 1894, Arthur Evans finally manages to take under his possesion the Kephala hill. Meanwhile the Ottoman authorities set Kalokerinos mansion in fire thus burning hundrends of archaeological findings.
His brother, Lysimachos Kalokerinos, who was serving as the ambassador of Britain to Crete was beheaded, his son was killed and his daughter was abducted.
Minos Kalokerinos after passing on his notes to Evans, departed for the Kingdom of Greece.
The excavations in Knossos began again in 1900, this time by the English archaeologist Sir Arthur Evans.
#Archaeologist #Archaeology #Greece #History #Crete #Knossos #Minoan