Vegan Smokey Sausage, Sweet Potato, & Kale Soup♥️ This was last night’s dinner, fyi. Okay, so obviously I do not care about the temperature outside; I will make soups and stews in any weather because YUM, duh. Note: I initially wanted to use all sweet potato in this recipe, but I only had 1 sweet potato, so I added yellow potato. I ran out of my homemade curry paste, so I just used curry powder and turmeric. Also, you can certainly use any beans, grains, and lentils that you want. I used what I had. I don’t measure any of my seasonings. I season everything to taste. This recipe takes about an hour and 10 minutes in total to make and makes about 6-7 bowls of soup. ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Ingredients: •2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil •1 large yellow onion, chopped •1 medium sweet potato, 1 medium yellow potato
•salt (to taste)
•curry powder (to taste)
•turmeric (to taste)
•garlic (to taste)
•black pepper (to taste)
•sriracha spicy seasoning (Strong Islands brand, to taste)
•smoked paprika •1 cup of uncooked brown rice •4 cups of vegetable broth, 3 cups of water
•2 tablespoons of white cooking wine •1 can (14 oz.) of cooked black eyed peas, rinsed and drained •2 medium red bell peppers, chopped •1 Field Roast grain meat sausage, finely chopped (Smoked Apple Sage flavor)
•2 small bunches of kale, chopped
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil and then stir in the onion and potatoes. Add some salt. Cook for 5 minutes and onion are soft.
2. Sprinkle in some curry powder and turmeric and continue cooking 1 more minute.
3. Add the rice, the broth, the water, and the cooking wine.
4. Bring it to a boil and then cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Uncover the pot and add the black eyed peas, the peppers, and the sausage. At this point you can add some garlic, more salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and the sriracha seasoning according to how you’d like your soup to taste.
6. Cover your pot and simmer on low heat for another 15 minutes.
7. Uncover and stir in your kale. If you want your kale to be cooked more and softened, you can add the kale during step 5.
8. Enjoy :)