(A simple guide for distinguishing between a real and a fake pearl string)
Pearls have been one of the most beautiful natural creations among other precious and semiprecious gems. What makes it different from other gemstones is its organic origin. Since a pearl is formed by a living organism i.e. an oyster, a mussel or a clam, EACH AND EVERY PEARL IS UNIQUE. In the world of fakes and imitation these beauties are also being replicated and sold by the name of real/cultured pearls. Below are few points which will help you distinguish between a real and a fake pearl.
1. Close observation: have a close look at the pearl string. Every real pearl in a string will have a unique colour, shape, lusture, overtones and surface blemishes (pinpricks, marks, chalky spot and wrinkles). A REAL PEARL IS NEVER FLAWLESS even if you can’t see and judge from naked eyes. On the other hand every pearl in a fake pearl string will look identical. They will have absolutely same shape, size, lusture, colour, overtones and are blemish free.
2. Shape: Real pearls have surface blemishes. These blemishes make them unique. A perfectly round pearl with very few/ almost nil surface blemishes are very rare and are most sought after, making them pretty expensive worth hundreds of thousand dollars. And if not, then there is a great chance of it being a fake.
3. Touch: Real pearls are cool to touch even in a hot weather. But it takes up one’s body temperature after coming in contact with skin.
4. The tooth rubbing test: try rubbing pearls against your teeth, a real pearl will feel gritty whereas a fake pearl will slip away.
5. Burn test: very mild burning won’t harm a real pearl but can totally damage the shine and lusture of a fake pearl.
You can do most of the test by yourself. Just last word of advice these tests are for your own knowledge telling someone that they are wearing fake pearls is considered inappropriate and disrespectful and you may lose some of your good friends too. So, it’s always better to keep a smile rather than gossip on your lips 😉. Be real, buy real and stay beautiful.....
#silvermoti #realvsfake #allaboutpearls #article