✨Day 4 on the island of Aegina ✨
Here are some highlights/facts by picture slide ➡️
1. Aegina is one of the Saronic islands just 27 km off of Athens and so is just a quick ferry away if you want to escape the busy life of Athens!
2. St. Nektarios Monastery is definitely a place to visit. It sits on top a hill and is BEAUTIFUL and surrounded by these pretty flowers. 🤗This is the new church of the monastery.
3. St. Nektarios is the patron saint of the island and is the most modern saint in the Orthodox Church. He lived at the monastery until his death in 1920. He is known for his many miracles and healing of cancer.
4. It is said there are 365 chapels and churches around the island, although not all are active but can still be visited. Just take a drive around the island and you'll see!
5. The temple of Aphaia is a sanctuary dedicated to the goddess Aphaia. It's the oldest Greek Doric temple, dating 5th century BC.
6. If you ever go to Aegina, get their pistachios! They're considered some of the best in the world and I can verify they're delicious. I always stock up on bags of them. They also sell pistachio everything on that island: pesto, butter, lotion, candy bars, and ice cream. So I got ice cream! 😋