Some quick tips on clean eating!
1) Eat only whole foods. That means eating oats and blueberries rather than a blueberry muffin. When you eat packaged foods, only buy brands that contain “real food” ingredients--ingredients you easily recognize, can pronounce, and would use to make a “from scratch” version in your own kitchen. If a food contains even one ingredient that makes you think “huh?” skip it.
2) Keep meals simple. Delicious, healthy food doesn’t have to contain a lot of ingredients. Keep your meal ingredients to a minimum—just be sure to include a source of whole grains, lean protein and healthy fat at each meal. For example, veggies and chicken stir fried in sesame oil over a bed of brown rice seems restaurant quality but can be whipped up faster than takeout.
3) Eat slower. Put your fork or spoon down between every bite, and focus on the flavors and textures of your food.
4) Eat on a regular schedule. Try not to let more than about 4 hours go by between meals or snacks. Steady meal timing helps regulate your digestive system, blood sugar and insulin levels, and appetite.
5) Listen to your body. Eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full, meaning satisfied, not stuffed. Rely on your hunger and fullness cues to tell you when to stop and start eating.
Swell Tip: Eating Slow allows your brain to catch up with your stomach.
6) Grocery Shopping: Shop the perimeter. Almost every healthy food choice happens on the perimeter of the store. They keep the processed stuff in the middle. Along the perimeter you will find all of the fresh, whole foods (like fruit, veggies, meat, etc)
7) Don’t go Grocery Shopping while you are hungry! You will convince yourself you NEED that tub of ice cream. When you get home, buyers remorse will set in. Always grab a healthy snack before you go!
I hope this helps you find a healthier, cleaner lifestyle!