Regrann from @vegan_education_center - Why were so many outraged after Michael Vick's dogfighting arrest yet so many people participate & promote an even more extreme cruelty- the #animal #agriculture industry? When we eat meat, we are #MichaelVick Our "moral schizophrenia"- delusional thinking allows us to judge #animals as having moral value yet needlessly impose suffering upon them.
1. What would happen to all the animals if we stopped #eating them? Simple, there would be an excess of animals initially, as they died, there would not be 57 million lands animals produced a year. Animals are artificially inseminated to produce enough babies to meet demand.
2. Isn't it okay to eat "humane" meat? Here’s a scenario-Sally and John spank their child for the fun of it. You say something to them. In response, instead of using a wood paddle, they use a softer belt. In their eyes, they are "doing better" but the child is still suffering. Using "humane" animal products still causes suffering & unnecessary death.
3. Eating meat is a tradition.-Just because something has been going on for a long time does not mean it is moral. Slavery is a prime example. #Slavery used to be "normal" even George Washington owned slaves, but today if someone was to own slaves, they'd be jailed. Traditions can evolve.
4. Will I get enough iron if I don't eat meat- Yes, #Meat contains heme #iron while #plants contain non-heme. Iron #deficient #anemia is no more common in #vegans than nonvegans. #Steak has .9 mg/100 cal. #Lentils have 2.9, #spinach 15.5.
5. Isn't it natural? No, most people are #lactose intolerant. Our bodies are much more like herbivores- flat molar teeth, long intestine, low pH stomach acid, developed salivary glands. Rob Dunn states that "for the last 40 million years of #evolution of our bodies, through most of the big changes, we were eating fruit, nuts, and leaves and an occasional insect,frog, or Bird.
6. I'm busy and grabbing a burger is convenient and easy.- Does convenience for a moment justify a lifetime of suffering and death? There are tons of options out there in stores, fast food restaurants, and many great cookbooks! It's never been easier to grab a quick non-