Yes, yes, yes to all of these. It makes me feel so loved and held when folks put in the effort to educate themselves about #MultipleSclerosis, while also having the humility to recognize their research doesn’t make them an expert on my life with this condition. Living with an unpredictable and potentially progressive disease, I am learning to cope with the fact that everything might not “be okay,” and telling me it will doesn’t support me in that process of acceptance however good the intention is in doing so. Finally, treatment options for essentially every chronic illness range from shitty to terrifying. When your body isn’t able to do the things you want or need to do, chronic illness can feel like losing your agency. Please don’t add to that by not respecting our choices around treatment.
#mswarrior #msawareness #listenmore #morehumility #communityofcare
#Repost @decolonizing_fitness with @get_repost
“6 Phrases someone with a chronic illness would rather hear you say:
1. I googled your illness.
2. I have no idea what you are going through.
3. Sometimes it does feel like we’ve been given more than we can handle.
4. I know you look good, but I accept that you are suffering beyond what I can see.
5. I recognize that everything might not turn out ok.
6. I support whatever treatment option you choose for yourself.”
via Chanel White
#chronicillness #support #decolonizingfitness #butyoudontlooksick #invisibleillness #chronicpain #spoonie #payattention