* Myth: Mental health conditions are not #common. - FACT: Mental illness is more prevalent than many people think: One in five Americans experience a #mental illness/condition in their lifetime. And it can affect anyone…
* Myth: Children can’t have a mental illness. It is just the result of bad parenting. - FACT: While environmental influences can affect a person’s mental health, biological/genetic factors can affect individuals just as much or more. Mental health conditions are not simply a side effect of parenting, but a combination of influences.
* Myth: People are “faking it” or doing it for #attention. - FACT: No one would choose to have a serious mental illness, just as no one would choose to have a physical illness. IT’S DEEPER THAN THAT! It can be challenging to relate to what people with mental health issues are going through, but that does not mean that their condition is not real.
* Myth: You don’t need therapy, just take a pill.
- FACT: While medication can be helpful, it may not be the only thing a person needs to progress and feel better. Usually, a #combination of therapy and medication provide the best outcomes. (I SAY THIS EVERY DAY!!!)
* Myth: People with mental health conditions are #violent and dangerous. - FACT: Having a mental health condition does not make a person more likely to be violent or dangerous. The truth is, living with a mental health condition makes you more likely to be a victim of violence. (SO, DON’T LET THE #MEDIA FOOL YOU!)
* Myth: #Psychiatric #disorders are not real medical issues. - FACT: Just medical illnesses can lead to death; mental illnesses can also, unfortunately, lead to death if not treated effectively. Being #suicidal is considered a medical EMERGENCY.
* Myth: A person can treat themselves with #positive thought and prayer. - FACT: Positive thought, religion, and spirituality can be powerful tools in recovery, but they should not be the only form of treatment, especially if the mental health issues are causing some type of impairment. PLEASE GET #HELP!
#MENTALHEALTHMATTERS #MENTALHEALTHAWARENESS #REMOVETHESTIGMA #BLACKNP #PSYCHNP #MENTALHEALTHPROVIDER