Fusilli (because elbow macaroni is not available) soup on a hot afternoon.
I didn't know coco milk can be used to cook our traditional snack. I used to think it's too sweet. Besides, I don't like the small lumps it forms when boiling. But it all worked, thanks to God's wisdom and the help of #CarpPatis.
2 heads of garlic, crushed and minced (save one clove for stock)
2 onions, chopped
2 shiitake mushrooms, better if just sliced (optional)
1 baby cabbage, chopped
1 small carrot, julienned or diced
1 bowl of water
2 cups of vegan fish sauce (we use carp patis)
1 pinch salt
1/2 bag fusilli (corkscrew) pasta
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 cup of coco milk, 1st press
1 cup of coco milk, 2nd press
1. Sautee garlic and onion in water for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the shiitake mushrooms.
3. Add 1/2 cup of vegan fish sauce, just so the saltiness will stick to the mushroom. Stir well.
4. Pour in the bowl of water and put it to a boil. Add a cup of vegan fish sauce, a teaspoon of garlic powder, the crushed clove of garlic, and salt to taste.
5. While the stock is boiling, add the fusilli pasta and let it cook until it's chewy enough. To find out if the pasta is chewy, taste a piece every 3 to 5 minutes.
6. When the pasta is soft enough, add the cups of coco milk, the carrot, and the cabbage. Then pour in the remaining 1/2 cup of vegan fish sauce. Stir well.