Photograph by @williamodaniels | If children in poor countries got the vaccine shots that rich countries take for granted, hundreds of thousands of young lives could be saved. For our November issue, we look at how vaccines–or their absence–can affect children’s lives across the world. #vaccineswork #endpolio #childhealth
1. Ghulam Ishaq from Pakistan holds his four-year daughter whose leg has been withered by polio.
2. A health worker who seeks out the unvaccinated gives a young boy an oral vaccine in Karachi, Pakistan.
3. Just vaccinated against yellow fever, a young Congolese woman waits for her disinfected arm to dry.
4. A woman gets a vaccination against yellow fever in the DRC.
5. Beatrice Vio is a 20 year old Italian fencer who contracted meningococcal meningitis at 11, which spread and left her an amputee. Now she is a gold medalist in a wheelchair who fences for the Italian Paralympic team.