It’s pride month and today is asexuality awareness day! I had quite a few questions when I came out so I thought in honor of this day I would post 5 facts about asexuality.
1. It’s a spectrum. Otherwise known as the “ace umbrella” asexuality can range from total lack of attraction to occasional attraction or attraction only after a strong emotional bond. It’s varies person to person.
2. It is not a choice. It is not celibacy and is just another orientation like homosexuality or bisexuality or heterosexuality. We can’t help that we feel or don’t feel attraction.
3. We can still be in relationships. There are many types of attraction other than sexual attraction such as romantic or platonic. Asexual individuals can have any romantic orientation from hetero to pan. They can also be aromantic which is a lack of romantic attraction.
4. It is not a product of trauma. While some asexual individuals have experienced trauma it is not the cause of asexuality. It seems stupid to have to say it but it’s a pretty common misconception.
5. It’s totally normal! Just like any other orientation it may not always seem like “the norm” but 1% of the earths population are ace.
It can be hard and stressful trying to figure out who you are no matter your orientation and there are so many resources and communities to help you understand your attraction or lack thereof. If you have more questions about asexuality or are possibly questioning feel free to reach out to me or check out the asexual visibility and education network (AVEN) they are an amazing resource that helped me understand who I was and connected me with a great and supportive global community.