I decided to start teaching Comprehension passage word by word with Missy 12. It may seem like hand-holding but I need to share and emphasize to her the many tips from the MCE PSLE EL Parent Workshop. Our first #30minrevision was spent on 2 things:
1) understanding the passage - read 1x before reading the questions and 1x after
2) reading the questions: highlight the tenses and keywords
There are many inferential skills involved and key is to teach her how to ask qns to herself, answer the qns, writing down notes and get used to inferring.
One good way is to draw arrows on the passage as I learnt from the workshop. For eg: Arrows pointing from a word "It" to the right subject in the passage.
5 steps in tackling Comprehension:
1) Read the passage and understand it
2) Read the question and analyse - highlight tenses and keywords
3) Source for answers
4) Answer techniques
5) Check GPS - Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling
I shall be sharing frequently on insta, facebook and blog on how we learn English and other subjects in preparation for PSLE. If you have good tips, welcome you to share with me!
#30minrevision #kidsrsimplePSLE #kidsrsimple #psleworkshop #marshallcavendish #marshallcavendisheducation #learningenglish #sharingtips #notuition #psleseries