Bella Hadid having wardrobe malfunction 3 TIMES, Netflix being booed due to its 'non-theater' model, Adam Sandler's great acting since... since we forgot when the last time was, are some iconic moments we had at this year's Cannes. Now that it's over, what else is left for us? Yes, the winners! They are:
1. Palme d'Or
The Square - Ruben Östlund
2. Grand Prix
120 Beats Per Minutes (BPM) - Robin Campillo
3. Jury Prize
Loveless - Andrey Zvyagintsev
4. Best Director
Sofia Coppola - The Beguiled
5. Best Actress
Diane Kruger - In the Fade
6. Best Actor
Joaquin Phoenix - You Were Never Really Here
7. Best Screenplay
The Killing of A Sacred Deer - Yorgos Lanthimos & Efthymis Filippou
You Were Never Really Here - Lynne Ramsay
At first, the expectation for exellency was so high as many cannes darlings made their come back to the game. However, critics were being less and less impressed onward, noting that the films were 'not their best'. Despite being lauded, The Square winning the Palme over 120 BPM and Loveless was still surprising. To make it up, at least this year's decision was the best in 3 previous years. Some notable moments during the awarding ceremony are:
1. Joaquin Phoniex's leather shoes were gone, wearing Converse to the stage instead.
2. Robert Pattinson's fans thought that he won the Best Actor. He did but it was not from the official juries. Basically he did not.
3. When called for the Jury Prize, Andrey Zvyagintsev was like "Now? But I want the Palme :'(". I feel him, his film placed highest at the critics poll.
4. Nicole Kidman won a specially-made-for-her award, for being in 4 films at Cannes 70th.
5. Will Smith was pretending to cry as if he was Nicole Kidman, making (some) audiences laugh.
6. Sofia Coppola wasn't present but she made a history by being the 2nd woman to win Best Director, the 1st in 56 years.
7. Ruben Östlund's hilarious reaction said it all that he was also surprised by the Palme. You deserve it Sir, happy for you.
That's it. Thank you for still existing on your 70th birthday. See you again next year, Cannes.
#cannes2017 #palmedor #thesquare #loveless #120BPM #robertpattinson #RubenÖstlund #willsmith #nicolekidman