I am all about learning which products we use on the regular that do and don't contain harmful chemicals so when I heard about this workshop @notoxlife was hosting, I had to go! Not only did @mattisonmontijo & I have so much fun making homemade vegan sunscreen with natural ingredients, we also learned a lot! I took a few notes so that I could share with you that you may or may not already know 😘⬇️
When shopping for a sunscreen AVOID these toxic ingredients:
- Aluminum chlorohydrate (not to be confused with Aluminum hydroxide) is commonly used in antiperspirants that has been associated with cancer and Alzheimer’s concerns
- Octinoxate also known as ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, is a common ingredient in sunscreens, shampoos, lipsticks and other products. It is a hormone disruptor. It can produce estrogen-like effects similar to oxybenzone (also a toxin)
Hormones affect reproduction in men and women, and trigger the onset of puberty, but did you know insulin is a hormone, and hormones also control your thyroid? Hormones control everything in your body
- Homosalate is also a hormone disruptor.
- Oxybenzone is one of the most toxic ingredients found in cosmetic products. It is an endocrine-disrupting chemical that is linked to endometriosis and can pose a risk to your reproductive system. This chemical can also have an affect on your nervous system 😟
- Avobenzone has been linked to skin allergies. It is relatively safe on its on own however because it doesn't last long in the sun (about 30 min) many chemical sunscreen companies then have to add not-so-safe chemicals like octocrylene to make it work longer.
Now that I've laid that all out for you, I DO HAVE GOOD NEWS 🥁🥁🥁 my drumroll 😂
You're probably left wondering: "what in the heck do I buy?!" @notoxlife has recommended @badgerbalm! Also, when shopping for sunscreen always, always, always (Did I say ALWAYS?) be sure it contains these two active natural ingredient: TITANIUM DIOXIDE & ZINC OXIDE because there is no point in applying a product without it⛱