According to a London study, it takes 66 days for something to become a habit.
It’s been 365 days since you arrived. One year.
Nothing about you has been routine; not one day the same. You’re the most amazing, sassy, difficult, sleepless, silly and gentle soul I’ve ever met. The best pieces of me and your father melded into a completely independent and wonderful little person.
On your first birthday, I will tell you the things you’ve done. The things you’ve taught me to do. The way you’ve changed this world.
1. You’ve taught us to be messy. To be mismatched. To appreciate a stain as a memory - be it poop or pasta sauce.
2. You’ve altered our priorities. Sacrifice has turned to choice. Nothing we “give up” can top life with you or for you.
3. We now know a human only needs 3-5 hours of sleep to function reasonably well. And contorting my arms and broken shoulders to snuggle with you is worth the risk of not being able to move them the next morning.
4. You love music. And other kids. And you share...with animals and people and inanimate objects that make noise. I hope one day the singing stuffed elephant eats the piece of watermelon.
5. You’ve reinforced the need to be good people. To show you how to treat people and things. To be good parents, friends, citizens and humans.
6. You’ve chilled us out. So you ate a piece of dog food and I am walking around with a hole in the crotch of my pants. Whatever.
7. You remind us to be grateful for every day. To appreciate health and the opportunity to live. As long as we’re breathing and together, we’re okay.
8. You center us. When we start thinking about fighting over who front-loaded the dishwasher and not wearing a t-shirt during sex, we remember how insignificant it all is.
9. Our resolve to fight for your best interest is insane. I’ve always been crazy, but telling a stranger that I will shit in her food because she told you to “ssshhh” at a mall food court is next level. I will advocate for you always. Always.
10. I’ve never been so sure of anything. The wild card that is our day to day reminds me that nothing is as important as you and our family. You are the ultimate Finishers prize. #HarperVida #1 #birthday