Planning a fun adventure with dad this weekend? I bet he would love you even more if you surprised him with these incredibly delicious cookies!
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup almond flour OR ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 ½ cups mashed banana
½ cup cashew or almond butter
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried blueberries or cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl stir together oats, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the mashed banana, melted coconut oil, and vanilla.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the banana mixture into it. Stir until well-combined. Fold in the dried fruit and nuts.
5. Use a mini ice cream scoop to drop heaping tablespoons sized mounds of dough onto the baking sheets, leaving a little room between to allow for any spreading. There should be enough for 16-18 cookies. The cookies won’t spread too much as they bake; for flatter cookies gently press down on the tops before baking.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking time. Allow cookies to cool completely on baking sheets before transferring to airtight containers. Will keep at room temperature for about 3-4 days, refrigerated for 7-10 days, or frozen for several months.
Makes about 16-18 cookies
Notes: Chocolate chips can be substituted for the dried fruit. Another nut or seed butter can be substituted for the cashew or almond butter.