Out of character post for me:
Today I stopped to witness a common occurrence on our college campus, a man preaching his religion (which is more often than not Christianity). In the past when I’ve stopped to listen the speakers have been abrupt, dismissive, and impolite. Today I stayed longer than I normally do because this man seemed better tempered. I wanted to share a few of my thoughts from this exchange:
1. His attitude and the way he responded to the people opposing him was courteous and not dismissive. This ability to speak politely, even to a mass audience who 9/10 disagreed with what he said, was both impressive and made me more open minded to the words he was preaching.
2. He did say a couple things that I agreed with or at least could respect. One of these was that people often “ask God” why/how something evil could be in our world after they personally witness and or experience such evil.
3. Although spoken in a respectful manner I still strongly disagree with two main points. The first being the idea that marriage is only meant for a man and a woman. I feel that is COMPLETELY inaccurate. The second thing I vehemently disagree with is the idea that no matter what you do (e.g lie, kill, rape, cheat, etc.) you will be forgiven and end up in heaven if you simply go “repent” for your sins at some point before you die. This idea makes absolutely ZERO sense to me.
4. I don’t practice any religion but was raised Jewish & identify that way. I also love learning and understanding more about religions and personal beliefs so please, PLEASE, feel free to share your opinions and beliefs with me! I welcome it!!!!! 💛 (Little edit to the post):
5. After getting lots of amazing comments and messages from people explaining beliefs and clarifying/elaborating on my mindset on repentance, I realized I was thinking confession was the same thing as repentance!! I now realize forgiveness thru repentance is only granted if that is not empty and if after the fact you not only don’t do that bad thing again, but you also make up for the previous time(s) you did!! Thank you all so much for sharing and all in such respectful ways! 💗💗💗