Say goodbye to takeout and hello to spicy chicken biryani 👋
1200g chicken drumsticks
200g natural yogurt
2 tbsp finely grated ginger
2 green chillies, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
½ lemon, juiced
3 tsp garam masala
5 cardamom pods, seeds crushed
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp ghee
2 onions, finely sliced
400g basmati rice
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
1 tsp ground coriander
4 tomatoes, chopped
200ml semi-skimmed milk
½ tsp saffron
125g seedless raisins
2 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1. Marinate the chicken with the yogurt, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 chilli, 3 garlic cloves, lemon juice, 2 tsp garam masala, cardamom seeds, turmeric and 1 tsp cumin for 1 hour.
2. Heat 1 tbsp ghee and cook the onions for 35-40 mins until golden brown. Set aside. Rinse the rice and leave to soak for 30 mins.
3. Season a pan of boiling water and add 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 cardamom pods and 1 bay leaf, then set aside for 30 mins. Bring the water back to the boil, add the rice and cook for 2 mins. Drain and set aside, removing the whole spices.
4. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a high-sided pan with a lid and brown the chicken all over. Season. Set aside the chicken, then add 1 tbsp ghee, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 chilli, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp ground cumin and ground coriander to the pan. Add the remaining cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom pods and bay leaf and cook for 3 mins. Add the tomatoes and remaining marinade with a splash of water. Stir well.
5. Heat the milk with the saffron, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 5 mins.
6. Place one third of the rice on the bottom of the pan on top of the sauce. Add one third of the onions and raisins and half the chicken. Add another third of rice, remaining chicken and another third of the onions and raisins. Add the remaining rice, onions and raisins. Evenly pour over the milk. Cover and cook on a low heat for 45 mins.
7. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then sprinkle over the almonds and coriander.
#chickenbiryani #currynight #biryani #curry #feast #instafood #spicyfood #rice #takeaway #chickencurry