On Nov. 2, 1940, the Spanish newspaper ABC DE MADRID reported that a strange device was found on the LA LINEA beach near the British Naval Base of GIBRALTAR. Shaped like a torpedo but with two seats and several levers. No trace of the crew. The propeller was still spinning. (1st picture) — This is what happened. In the night of Oct. 30, the Italians had launched three manned torpedo (SLC) teams from the submarine Scirè in an attempt to attack Gibraltar. All SLCs aka Maiales respectively the breathing apparatuses of the crew members failed. BIRINDELLI was captured by British sentinels after he destroyed his SLC. DE LA PENNE sunk his delivery vehicle and managed to escape. TESEO TESEI, the inventor of this new device, detached the warhead and send his Maiale off to the south. He escaped but his SLC travelled on its own around the bay and landed on the Spanish coast where it was seized by the Spanish Guardia Civil. The British Secret Service took pictures of this peculiar thing and slowly it began to dawn on them what the Italians were cooking. In 1975, the Spanish government returned this amazing machine to the Marina Militare. It is now exhibited at the ComSubIn base in the Varignano Fortress in Porto Venere. An interesting observation is that the compass was made by G. PANERAI & FIGLIO (6th photo).