It’s as easy as pie to create this super spanakopita-style recipe:
Total time: 30 minutes
60g unsalted butter
700g spinach leaves
30g parsley, chopped
20g dill, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ nutmeg, freshly grated
300g feta, crumbled
1 pack filo pastry, (6 sheets)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
160g beetroot salad bag, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
2. Put a large saucepan over a high heat and add 10g of the butter and 2tbsp water.
3. Add the spinach leaves, stir and pop the lid on. After 30 secs, take the lid off, stir again and leave for 1 min, in which time it should just be wilted.
4. Next, tip into a colander, press out the liquid and transfer to a food processor.
5. In a small saucepan, start melting the rest of the butter over a low heat.
6. In the meantime, add the herbs and garlic to the food processor. Pulse quickly three or four times until everything is roughly broken down.
7. Tip into a mixing bowl, add the nutmeg and crumble in the feta along with plenty of seasoning.
8. Take a baking dish (approx 20cm x 15cm) and brush a little of the melted butter over the base. Add a sheet of filo, shaping it up the sides. Brush with a thin layer of butter and add another sheet, repeat so you have 3 layers in total.
9. Tip the spinach in, smooth out and pack down a little.
10. Add the remaining 3 layers of filo, buttering in between. 11. Fold the edges over to seal the pie, brush the top with the last of the butter and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
12. Pop it straight into the hot oven for 15-18 mins. The edges should be golden brown, crisp and crunchy. Serve with a big handful of beetroot salad.
#vegetarian #spinachpie #greekfood