Of recent, a lot of people ask for mentorship (I don’t know why they think I qualify. Even I know I’m still figuring it out), and when I ask basic questions, they freeze with no clue whatsoever.
Get this straight:
1) Your Mentor is not your business school. You must have sufficient requisite knowledge of your business and industry, before you seek guidance on how to navigate the waters.
2) Your Mentor will not run your business for you.
3) Your Mentor is not your P.A. Don’t expect babysitting.
4) Your Mentor can not know it all.
5) Your Mentor must have experience in the areas of advice you seek, but will never know your reality.
6) It is possible to have a life-long Mentor, but don’t be ashamed to say you have outgrown your Mentor.
7) Outgrowing Your Mentor doesn’t mean you are more successful than them. It just means you need new water from another well.
Honestly, your mentor’s input should be pivotal and bring significant positive change, but can’t be more than 5% of all you need to succeed. So Where is the balance 95% coming from?
Search within, gain requisite knowledge, be brave, be bold, don’t be lazy... Be Your Plug. Depend On God and believe in the deposit of greatness in you.
You are all you need to step up. - Temitayo Eyitayo.