Our Wonky Strawberries are £1 for 227g in store and online. Try them in this sweet Pimm’s Strawberry Meringue Pie #Recipe for a tasty treat. Recipe below:
300g shortcrust pastry
500g fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 orange, juice and finely grated zest only
300g caster sugar
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
5 eggs, separated
3 tbsp cornflour
80g butter, cubed
Total time required 1 hr 10 mins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins
Other time: Chill for 2 hours
Keep some mint sprigs, orange zest and strawberries back to decorate your pie before serving.
1) Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6.
2) Roll out the pastry on a flour-dusted surface and use to line a 25cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Line with baking parchment and beans and bake blind for 20 minutes.
3) Remove the beans and parchment and cook for 10 minutes until the case is golden.
4) Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
5) To make the filling place the strawberries into a food processor with the orange zest and juice, Pimm’s, half the sugar and the mint. Blend until smooth then warm through in a saucepan.
6) Whisk the egg yolks with the cornflour and 1 tbsp of cold water, then whisk into the hot strawberry mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
7) Stir in the butter and continue stirring until it melts. Spoon into the cooked pastry case and allow to cool, then chill for 2 hours.
8) Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add the rest of the sugar a spoonful at a time and continue whisking until they become thick, stiff and glossy. Pile on top of the filling and bake in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/Gas 6 for 6-7 minutes until pale golden.
9) To serve, decorate the top with mint sprigs, fresh strawberry slices and orange zest. #strawberries #baking #meringue #pie #pimms #morrisons #sweettreats