🚨SEA OTTER PSA!🚨In April, a White House executive order called for a review of national marine sanctuaries and monuments for oil and gas development. This is otterly worrisome, because oil spills are a fundamental threat to California’s sea otter population.
If you’d like to lend a paw to keep sea otters protected, the link to leave a comment on the executive order is in our bio. Make sure to upload a photo of your favorite marine sanctuary if you've got one! Here's some sample text to help inspire your comments:
If you live or work in California:
– I live/work in ___, California, and I am proud that my state is home to four national marine sanctuaries. The expansions of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary, Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary and the Greater Farallones National Marine Sanctuary each involved years of public input and agency collaboration.
– They were expanded to increase science-based protections for the exceptional marine wildlife and habitats that help drive our economy and inspire our way of life.
– Please maintain the full extent of protections for each of the California National Marine Sanctuaries.
If you live outside of California:
– I am proud to live in a country that protects its unique and valuable natural resources, especially wildlife and habitats in our ocean and Great Lakes. I strongly support full protection for each of our national marine sanctuaries and national marine monuments.
– These areas were designated and expanded with bipartisan support, scientific input and broad community participation. They protect the long-term health of natural resources that enhance the well-being of local communities, and contribute billions to the U.S. economy.
– Please maintain the full extent of protections for each of the nation’s National Marine Sanctuaries and National Marine Monuments.
Thanks for speaking out in support of national marine sanctuaries—and their associates sea otters! #montereybayaquarium #conservationworks #lendottersapaw #youotterlypawesomereader