Happy #NationalDogDay! Celebrate
with these pups, all from The Met’s collection. (1) John Singer Sargent (American, 1856–1925). Woman with Collie, after 1890.
(2) Relief fragment with two young dogs.
ca. 2400–2323 B.C. From Egypt, Memphite Region, Lisht North, Pyramid Complex of Amenemhat I, Pyramid core, MMA excavations, 1908–09.
(3) Spectacle case. Late 19th century, from Mexico.
(4) Tumbler. 1723, probably German.
(5) Netsuke of Puppies at Play. late 19th century. From Japan, Meiji period (1868–1912).
(6) Pierre-Louis Pierson (French, 1822–1913). Les Chiens. 1860s.
(7) Kawabata Gyokushō (Japanese, 1842–1913). 狗児図 A Pair of Puppies, 1868.
(8) Jean Honoré Fragonard (French, 1732–1806). A Woman with a Dog, ca. 1769.