Reposting this pic from @kendramenendez bc life is short, relationships are vital to this existence & this is a recurring theme in my world atm. #wisdombombs:
1) What you see on social media is not real life. My instagram does not offer a full scope of my life. To quote a wise woman I know, “social media is a collection of people’s highlight reels.”
2) Assuming what someones doing, how they are, what/how they feel, what they know, their motives, etc leads to false narratives, anger, crazy conclusions, delusion, etc. I’ve been guilty of this before. But it’s a part of me I’ve put on the sacrificial altar of release & transformation. (2018 is a yr of introspection &mirrored images for me. It hurts but i love it— it’s why we live this life.) Assuming has even kept me from living in the present. Generally, that means holding onto emotions, grudges &bullshit that brings everything about you down. Why put yourself through that? After reflecting I always come back to: it’s easy to play the victim. Even when we are the victim of fucked situations, being the victim often becomes a mentality; a really fucking cyclical self-destructive one. We don’t HAVE to be the victim. It takes lots of reflection &acceptance to get through it sometimes. But that leads to healing (&forgiveness).
3) #Assumptions make it easy to take things personal. On the flip side, assumptions also make it easy to lack compassion/empathy. Neither are valid bc A) Nothing is personal. Ppl do things based on how they feel, their situations, and what they’ve been or are going through. Taking something personal is a type of assumption, one that believes motives, lack of love, etc was directed at you. But was it actually? B) Lacking empathy or compassion is (kind of) the inverse of taking something personally. It’s another type of assumption, one that believes something’s fine and doesn’t matter. But does it actually? #reflection, #openness & #communication can resolve this.
4) Assuming can cause you to miss out on really beautiful people, experiences, unforgettable moments, etc. Life is too short to not fully live.
5) Assuming makes an ass of everyone forever. #neverforget