maritimesmuseum maritimesmuseum

671 posts   23,374 followers   3,435 followings

Maritimes Museum Hamburg  Discover the world's largest private maritime collection of Prof. Peter Tamm in the heart of Hamburg, Germany. #maritimesmuseum / #immhh

What you see is a model of a manned torpedo, a SLC (Siluro a Lenta Corsa, slow torpedo) of the Italian Navy. This model, the SLC-200 was built in 1935 and on duty until 1945. A two man crew operated this submersible vessel using diver outfits. The slowness and short range of the electric engines of the vessel made it necessary for a mother vessel, usually a submarine, to transport the SLC near its objective. Once the SLC had reached the enemy vessel, the operator magnetically connected the onboard explosive materials to the hull of the ship. The time-bomb was later detonated when the SLC had returned to the mother-vessel. The best known action of this manned torpedo was the damaging of HMS Queen Elisabeth and HMS Valiant at Alexandria on the 18th of December 1941.
This model in a scale of 1:20 is part of our exhibition on subaquatic warfare on deck 5 of the museum.

The E.R. Manchester stands as example of a modern, smaller container ship in our exhibition. Her history so far serves as a good example of the growing globalization in the shipping industry. She was built in 2005 at the Hyundai Mipo Dockyards in South Corea for the chartering company E.R. Schifffahrt GmbH & Cie. part of the Nordcapital Group. She was on duty under her original name only one month for P&O Nedlloyd.after that she was renamed Kota Pekarang and was on duty for the Pacific International Lines. At the end of 2013 her name was changed to Rubina Schulte and she started working for the company Reederei Thomas Schulte GmbH & Co. From Hamburg.
Her yard model using her original but short-lived name is part of our exhibition on modern maritime logistics on deck 6 of our exhibition.

The Pollox was a naval cutter of the British Royal Navy built in 1795. The cutter is a highly maneuverable and fast one-masted sailing boat. Between the 17th and the early 19th Century many Navies used cutters for military purposes. The small size of this ships made them obviously unfit for the battle line. Naval cutters were nevertheless sturdy built and armed with lighter guns. They were used in coastal areas to fight piracy and contraband. They where also on duty as scouts. The cutter was the lowest rank of the rating system of the Royal Navy. The Pollok, with an overall length of 19,5 meters, was an average-sized naval cutter.
This model built in a scale of 1:50 by modeler Jürgen Hinrichsen is part of our exhibition about the Age of Sail on deck 2 of the museum.

The Britannic was the third and last ship of the Olympic class of the company White Star Lines. She was built at the yard of Harland and Wolff in Belfast to be the largest, most luxurious and safest of the class - lots of lessons had been learned after the tragedy of her sister, the RMS Titanic. But the start of World War I shortly after she was launched made it impossible for her to become the great ocean liner she was supposed to be. She stayed in Belfast until she was transformed in the HMHS Britannic, a gigantic hospital ship which could carry over 3000 wounded. The Britannic was set on duty between the UK and the Dardanelles in 1915 and 1916. On the 21st of November 1916, the ship hit a German sea-mine in the proximity of the Greek island of Kea. The damage was great but the ship might have been able to stay afloat if all safety measures had been applied by the crew. While the captain was trying to beach the sinking ship, the crew that was ready for evacuation lowered two lifeboats that were destroyed by the ship’s propellers. They did so without waiting for an order from the captain, that then managed to stop the propellers before a third lifeboat was destroyed. But the ship could not be beached anymore. She sank in 55 minutes. Nevertheless, of the 1065 persons that were on board, only 30 died and 40 were wounded.
This really well painted model in a 1:350 scale is part of our exhibit on hospital ships on deck 4 of the museum.

Today, the 12th Of May 2018, we would like to honor the memory of our founder Prof. Peter Tamm. On this day he would have celebrated his 90th birthday. One and a half year after his passing we still miss him every day. He will never be forgotten and, together with his son and successor as director of the museum, we will spare no effort to continue expanding and preserving his life’s achievement and his collection.

This little but powerful - 2 x 870 hp (metric) - Bugsier 4 tug was built in 1973 for the company known today as Bugsier-, Reederei- und Bergungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG. This company was created in Hamburg over 152 years ago, on the 6th of January 1866. It was born from the union of several smaller companies and has had a very successful history managing tugs for harbour and off-shore duties. Last year, the Bugsier company joined the Fairplay corporate group. You may remember the Fairplay company from our post about the figure of Lucy Borchard from the past 23rd of April.
This model of the Bugsier 4 (1973) belongs to a diorama about the process of containerization in the Port of Hamburg that you can find on deck 6 of the museum.

The Orion, auxiliary cruiser/merchant raider of Nazi Germany‘s Kriegsmarine, was commissioned in December 1939. Before that, she had a career as a general cargo carrier for the Hamburg-America Line (HAPAG) under her original name, The Kurmark. She was built in 1930 at the ship yards of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg. To save money during her construction, a discarded engine of the liner New York was reused for her. This will cause regular technical problems during all her existence. Her duty was to transport goods between Hamburg and the Dutch East Indies. When Germany declared World War II, it’s Navy command considered starting a plan for merchant raiding like the one the German Empire had rather successfully used in World War I. The objective was to disrupt British merchant shipping worldwide. The Kurmark and her sister Neumark were the first towing merchant ships to be modified as raiders. The Orion was ready in April 1940. she crossed the Atlantic disguised as a merchant ship, passed Cape Horn and entered the Pacific Ocean. Once there she laid mines and raided merchant vessels until the summer of 1941, sinking a total of 10 ships. The ship stayed out of duty until she was shortly renamed Hektor and used as an artillery training ship. In early 1945 she was named Orion again and started transporting German refugees in the Baltic. On the 4th of May the ship was hit by two soviet union bombs. The crew managed to beach the heavily damaged ship. For this reason, relatively few people died. Her wreck was scrapped in 1952.
This model built by mater Helmut Schmid in a scale of 1:100 is part of our exhibition on modern maritime warfare on deck 5.

The Anna was a Northgerman fishing boat built in 1879. She was a “Kielewer”, a development of the boat type “Ewer”. This kind of vessels originated in the region of Frisia in the Middle Ages. They are transportation boats with a flat bottomed hull and either one or two masts. They were used for fluvial or coastal transportation in the Netherlands, Denmark and Northern Germany. The Anna was a special development from this type of boats: the word “Kiel” in her type’s name makes no reference to the city of Kiel, but to the fact that a keel was added to the design of her hull. She was also a bit larger than the average “Ewer” and used to fish in the North Sea.
This beautiful model in a scale of 1:17 is part of our exhibit in the history of fishing on deck 7.

The MS Caravelle was built at the Hamburger shipyard of J.J. Siestas in 1974. She has had a long career and is actually a good example of the kind of exhistence many merchant ships have had in the last decades. She was built vor the German Jacob Winter shipping company. In 1983 she was sold to the British Frampton Shipping Co. Ltd. and renamed Emanaich. In 1986 she went to the Franco British Chartering Agency Ltd and renamed Millac Star II. The company changed her flag from UK to Bahamas in 1988. the next data we have about the ship are from 2001, when she was renamed Safa B. and started sailing under the flag of the Syrian Arab Republic. In 2009 she was renamed Meera and got the flag of Panama. After that the data we own about her stops, but she could be sailing still with the same name under the flag of Antigua & Barbuda.
Her 1974 yard model in a scale of 1:100 is part of our exhibition about modern maritime logistics on deck 6.

“Harbour scene at sunset”, oil on canvas by Ivan Aivazovsky (1817-1900). Considered one of the greatest masters of marine painting, this romantic Russian artist enjoyed a great popularity already during his lifetime. Aivasovsky was born from an Armenian family in the Crimean port of Feodossija, and spent most of his life there. He studied in the Imperial Academy of Arts of Saint Petersburg and would be later appointed to be the official painter of the Russian Imperial Navy. Anton Chekhov was said to have popularized the sentence “worthy of Aivazovsky's brush” to make reference to something of great beauty.
This is one of Aivazovsky’s works we have on display at our maritime art exhibition on deck 8.

The Zulfiquar (ذوالفقار in Urdu) is the name-giver to the F-22P frigate class of the Pakistani Navy. It was commissioned in 2009. This ship and her 3 first sisters were designed and built in China as an update of the Chinese frigate type 053H3. The fourth frigate of the class was built in Pakistan by Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works. In 2015 4 more of this frigate were ordered by Pakistan. This are modern warships with stealth technology to evade radar detection.
The PNS Zulfiquar was involved in a grave incident in September 2014, when a paramilitary group linked to Al-Quaeda including rogue members of the Pakistani Navy tried to take control of the frigate and use it against the @usnavy . The Pakistani forces managed to stop the attempt. All attacker’s were killed.
This is a promotional model of the PNS Zulfiquar made by the Hudong-Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai, where the ship was built. It is part of our exhibition on modern maritime warfare on deck 5 of the museum.

The cargo ship Altenfels of the company D.D.G. Hansa from Bremen was completed in the year 1915. Due to the raging World War I, she stayed out of duty waiting for the end of the conflict. In 1919 she was given as war reparations to Great Britain. One year later she finally started her duty under the name Eastern Prince for the Prince Line Ltd. from Liverpool. Interestingly enough, she was bought in 1925 by the Hansa, the company it had been built for in the first place. She was then renamed Stolzenfels and in merchant duty until the outbreak of World War II. She was then taken over by the Navy of Nazi Germany and transformed into a “Sperrbrecher”. This auxiliary ships, sometimes called “pathfinders” in English, were specially armored to open ways through protective minefields and usually carried anti-aircraft batteries. Despite their special protection, this kind of ships suffered heavy loses in both World Wars. That was the destiny of this ship, called Sperrbrecher 12 after 1939. She was sunk by the British near the Dutch Island of Schiermonnikoog in March of 1941.
This impressive antique model was built in a scale of 1:100 most certainly around 1915. It shows the ship in her original building form and it’s part of our exhibition about modern maritime logistics on deck 2 of the museum.

Most Popular Instagram Hashtags