Network on purpose.
You have to be intentional about meeting new people.
Long-term success is based on relationships, and that is what networking is all about. It is not transactional.
Here are a few tips on networking that will hopefully help you walk away from the conversation feeling engaged, inspired, or you feel like you made a real connection or you've been understood.
1. Many of you have already heard a lot of advice on listening like; look at the person in the eye, nod, smile to show you are paying attn.- Forget all that. There is NO REASON to show you are paying attention if you are in fact, paying attention.
2.Don't multitask. Be present. Be in that moment. Don't be thinking about the argument you've had with your spouse/boss/gf, don't be thinking about what you are going to have for dinner. If you want to get out of the conversation, get out of it, don't be half in it.
4.Enter the conversation assuming that you have something to learn. True listening requires a setting aside of oneself. Sometimes that means setting aside your personal opinion. Sensing this acceptance, the speaker will become less & less vulnerable & more likely to open the inner recesses of his/her mind to the listener.
3. Use open-ended questions.
What was that like? What is your vision? What's your biggest challenge right now? What do you like best about the work you do? Etc.,
4. Don't equate your experience with theirs. If they are talking about a promotion at work, don't talk about the time you had a promotion at work. It's never the same. All experiences are individual. And more importantly, it's not about YOU. You don't need to take that moment to prove how amazing you are or how much you know. Listen.
5. Facts tell, but stories connect. Be authentic.
6. Be interested in other people. Everyone you will ever meet knows something that you don't.
7. Networking & sales is more like farming, not fishing. You prepare the soil; plant seeds; water, weed, nurture, & cultivate. In other words, follow through.
8. Connect them to other people & suggest ways they can collaborate or benefit from the relationship. Serve as a catalyst for others' greatness. 🙏