H O S T E D
The highlight of my recent meal at Nami Japanese restaurant has to be my newfound appreciation and understanding of how premium quality dashi, also known as the “broth of life” breathes more depth and flavour into every dish.
Head Chef Shigeo Akiba demonstrated the vital role it plays in Japanese cuisine in the best way possible - by letting us taste it for ourselves through his beautifully prepared, refined creations. Please swipe to see all the courses that make up his special Dashi Menu ($180++). They’re arranged in order of my personal preference starting with the one I enjoyed the most.
1. Hokkaido corn rice with miso soup and pickles: I was blown away by the super sweet corn kernels and the fragrant, fluffy steamed-in-dashi, buttered grains. A second helping wouldn’t have gone amiss.
2. Miyazaki beef loin with eggplant: Shabu-ed lightly in niban dashi or “second brew”, the meat literally felt like they melted in my mouth. The sauce poured over that and the excellent eggplant (it’s first flash-deepfried before being boiled also in niban dashi) was composed from the same source as well.
3. Ichiban dashi-based soup with Hamaguri clam, chicken meat ball, eggplant, shimeiji mushrooms and carrot: I really liked how the light broth was chockfull of goodness.
4. Trio of appetisers: Yam tofu and uni on bonito soup jelly, shrimp with boiled hosta grass and the baby squid in gochujang cream sauce. The last was my favourite of the lot.
5. Sashimi of flounder and tuna: White Ponzu, shiro shoyu, mirin, and niban dashi dressed the former while the latter was flavoured by a niban dashi with katsuoboshi, shoyu, mirin and bonita stock. Both were delightful.
6. Odamaki-mushi: A chawanmushi designed to be substantial with udon noodles, crab meat, shiitake mushrooms, Mitsuba leaves and topped with a thick sauce. Dashi was used in all the key elements making up this dish.
7. Fruit jelly with Plum vinegar jelly sauce: The mix of sweetness from the melon, strawberry, orange, blueberry and plum with the savoury niban dashi jelly proved unique and enjoyable.
#veronicaphuaeats #namirestaurantandbar #namisg #burpplesg #burpple #dashi