This is a home cooked version of the ever popular Spanish Seafood Paella. It is important to use a non-stick cooking wok that is deep enough to hold the ingredients while the rice simmers but without the rice charring as it cooks. A see-through lid is useful to monitor the cooking progress every now and then. I’m using Zenez cookware, a non-stick marble with an anion ceramic coating wok cooking wok.
#zenez #vcaresg #cookware
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 thumb sized ginger, julienned
2 tsp turmeric powder (instead of Saffron)
1 tsp paprika powder
3-4 tsp salt (to taste)
1-2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
8 cloves of garlic, washed but with skin on
2 large red chillies, cut into 1 cm lengths
2 large Chorizo sausages, sliced
2.5 cups of rice, washed
1 can diced tomatoes
2.5 cups of chicken stock
6 pcs mid-joint chicken wings
6 large prawns, cleaned and deveined
400-500g of green mussels
250g salmon slices
150g squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
A few sprigs of fresh thyme
A lemon, cut into wedges (optional)
1. Heat oil in deep pan, add onions and half of the julienned ginger and fry till fragrant and soft
2. Add sliced Chorizo sausages and stir fry with 2 tsp of tumeric powder, 1 tsp of paprika and 3 tsp of salt
3. Add rice to the pan, mid-joint chicken wings, garlic cloves, fresh red chillies, the entire canned diced tomatoes, along with 2 cups of chicken stock. Mix everything in the pan evenly, cover up the pan and let the mixture first over high heat, and then let it simmer over a gentle fire.
4. After the 15-20 minutes of simmering, the stock would have reduced and the rice would have been about half-cooked. Gently place the prawns and mussels on the bed of rice, careful not to disturb the rice underneath them. Sprinkle the remaining julienned ginger and sprigs of thyme over the ingredients. Cover the pan and continue to simmer for another 7-8 minutes.
5. Lift up the cover and place the salmon slices and squid into the pan. Cover again and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Turn off the fire and let it stand covered for 5 minutes
7. Transfer the rice and ingredients to plates, add salt and pepper to taste