According to a 2015 study done with South African youth, ages 12-17, who live in low-income, urban communities and informal settlements:
- 98.9% witnessed community violence
- 40% have been directly threatened or assulted
- 76.9% witnessed domestic violence
- 58.6% have been directly victimized at home
- 75.8% have had direct or indirect exposure to school violence
- 93.1% have been exposed to more than one type of violence
- 50% have been exposed to 4 or more types of violence
Our experiences shape who we are. If this was your reality, what kind of person do you think you would be?
Poverty alone doesn't make a person violent. Being exposed to violence doesn't make YOU a bad person.
We MUST seek to understand the history of where a person comes from, the cultural/social cycle he or she was born into and LISTEN to his or her personal experiences BEFORE we can truly be of any kind of service. ❤