Thank you everyone for the messages today reminding me to post the recipe !!! One of the most popular yet I reckon !
Here is my recipe from last nights @sixoclockshow. Enjoy & be sure to tag us in your version!
Remember a recipe is just rough blue-print!
Below is the recipe, happy cooking
With fun & deliciousness,
Japanese Chicken Katsu Curry & Boiled Rice
Ingredients • 2 chicken fillets or pork chops
• 1 egg ( or cornflour & water for vegan version )
• 50g flour • 100g breadcrumbs ( panko or dried) ( or oats & almonds ) • Spray oil
• Butternut squash and courgette ( optional )
For the curry sauce • ½ onion • 1 carrot • Half banana
• 2 cloves garlic • 1 tbsp flour • 2 tbsp curry powder • ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice • 1 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup
• 1 tbsp honey • 2 tbsp soy sauce • 200mls chicken stock • 200mls coconut milk
1. To prepare the chicken, put it between 2 pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin.
2. Using 3 plates put out – flour, egg and ground almonds.
3. Dice the onion, carrot and garlic.
4. Combine all the dry ingredients on a plate
5. Open the tin of coconut milk. Make up the stock.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and banana for 10mins. Cover with a lid or some parchment paper (cartouche) if possible.
7. Stir in the flour and curry powder, Chinese 5 spice, tomato puree and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the stock until combined (do this gradually to avoid getting lumps). Add the honey & soy sauce and bring to the boil.
8. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15/20 minutes, so the sauce thickens but is still of pouring consistency. After 15mins add the coconut milk, then blitz or pass the sauce through a sieve (unless you prefer a chunky sauce). 9. To panne the pork or chicken, first dip the chicken in flour, then egg, then the almonds / oats or breadcrumbs. Transfer on to parchment paper on an oven tray, spritz with spray oil and bake for 20mins.
11. Slice the chicken/pork diagonally and serve with the sauce drizzled over, steamed rice or noodle salad.