St. Charles Avenue mansion in the Hurstville section of Uptown New Orleans. "The house was built in 1889 by Louis Lambert, according to his own designs, for Thomas Underwood, for $9,000." It was purchased in 1899 by Edward Godchaux of the Canal Street clothing store Leon Godchaux Company. "Godchaux retained architects Favrot and Livaudais to make improvements including exterior changes, and sold it in 1935 to Paul Kling, Jr. Five years later, Kling sold the house to Edith Haspel who sold it in 1942 to Orazio DiCristina for $12,500." The original design included even more Eastlake detailing than presently exists, as the original porch was only covered above the front entrance and was supported by decorative turned columns. The home is currently assessed for tax purposes at $2,040,000. Sources: _New Orleans Architecture, Vol.VIII: The University Section_ by Friends of the Cabildo (1997) and public tax records.