Never a dull moment here... today Brian noticed Margarita licking something on the ground in our yard. When he approached her, he saw that it was a toad, and Rita had already begun foaming at the mouth. She had found herself what we believe to be a Fowler's Toad. Although not as toxic as some other toads found in different parts of the U.S., the Fowler's Toad also secrets a substance when it feels threatened, and can cause some problems for your pup (like foaming at the mouth, vomiting, and diarrhea). Luckily, Brian was quick to flush Rita's mouth with water (if this happens to your pup- flush their mouth- don't let them drink/swallow). After a call to the 24-hr emergency clinic, Brian was told he did the correct thing by flushing Rita's mouth, and that she should be ok. However, they told us to monitor her and bring her in immediately if we observed any vomiting, diarrhea, facial tremors, or seizures. Margarita displayed no other symptoms the rest of the day, thank goodness.
I feel like this is something we should have known- but neither of us had any idea! The link below includes the toads that can harm your dog, and where they are typically located in the United States. The link also gives you a list of symptoms to watch for, and things to do (like flushing their mouth) if your dog comes in contact with a toad.