How to : Handstand .
If someone was to come to me today and ask me to teach them how to handstand as a total beginner, I would teach them to press first!
I wish I learned to press before learning to handstand. I genuinely believe using control to get up there would prevent so many bad habits and injuries from aimlessly kicking up, throwing all that weight onto wrists that aren't ready or shoulders that aren't strong enough or ineffective use of core etc.
This is the exact plan I would suggest to use & why; .
1. Three legged downward dog- benefits are obvious here, not only do you learn to split which makes getting up to HS easier, you prep the wrists and shoulders and of course the head being inverted too. Add these daily to your practice doing 10 each side and holding for a few seconds each time. .
2. BABY PRESS - This is a great way to learn how to feel the hips being stacked and the first feel of a press. Press one foot into the wall and see how the other foot will float up. Taking it all the way up, or tapping each wrists or just stay here and build strength first. X 6 each side. .
3. HALF TUCK - pressing one foot into a wall and drawing the other knee to chest while working on keeping spine straight will get you closer than ever to a tuck HS hold and is great starter press. X 6 each side. .
4. CHATURANGA PUSH UPS - learning to do this correctly will help build that shoulder strength along with all over body strength. X 10 daily either with knees down to begin with or full chaturanga. .
5. WALL PRESS - using the wall to the side and doing a mini puppy press, by pressing into the wall and drawing the knee over to the side will help prepare for moving away from the wall. X 10 attempts each side. Or hold for 30 secs each side. .
I would never teach a beginner to kick up to a wall with back to the wall, when you know you have the strength the wall is an amazing tool. But not helpful for beginners.
Daily planks holds, push ups and tuck jumps is what I recommend. I just wish I knew what I know now when I needed to know it 🤣😉 So I hope this little plan helps someone else out there 🖑
Good luck and any questions please àsk 😘