Warm seasonal millet salad 🥗🌱
At Smaka pa Stockholm (Taste of Stockholm) stage and we had 15mins to cook something, it could be from your native place, it could be something local! I decided to champion Millets. What are Millets? While most Indian do know what Millets are, I'll still repeat for the others to know the importance of it. Millets are a type of grain, common examples are ragi, buckwheat, sorghum (jowar), bajra, kodo millet, foxtail millet, amaranth and many more. They are gluten free, high on protein, they keep you full for a longer period of time, they are sustainable as they use 1/10th the amount of water used for rice, and trust me they have a distinct earthiness which as a chef I love cooking with. These Millets are from @originalindiantable Here is the recipe:
For the Millets:
Kodo millets - 500gm (you can use buckwheat or foxtail)
Olive oil or any local oil - 3tbsp
Onions - 2large
Tomatoes - 4large and some cherry tomatoes
Green chillies - 3/4 depending on how how you want it
Ginger garlic paste - 1tbsp
Parsi Sambar Masala - 2tsp
Coriander stems/leaves - a handful
You can chop up anything you like or have in the fridge. In my mystery basket I had the following:
Cucumber - 2
Rhubarb - 1/2 stick
Bellpeppers - 3
Red radish - 10
Spring onion - 2-3
For the dressing :
Lemon juice from 5-6 lemons (small ones if large then 2)
Olive oil - 10tbsp
Red chilli - 4
Mint - 1tbsp
Coriander - 2tbsp
Salt and pepper
Lemon wedges, chillies, amaranth pops and black rice pops
1. Wash the Millets a minimum of three times. It's removes bitterness.
2. In a pot add the Millets and double of that of water, cook for 15-20mins remove and spread out in a big tray. Pour some olive oil and mix.
4. Fine chop all the veggies that you want to add. Keep aside
5. Slice the onions and tomatoes, green chillies. In a pan, add oil and cook with gg paste and masala and mix in the millets.
6. For the dressing, mix up all the ingredients. If you want to add some chilli sauce or vinegar add now.
7. Toss it all up and serve!
#Eat #healthy #sustainable #yum #chefsnanifesto #sodabottleopenerwala
#salad #recipe #cheflife